Saturday, May 30, 2009

The best 3 bucks I've ever spent...

The scene: a mischievous 20-month-old, looking for nothing better to do than get into things he's not supposed to (i.e. opening his parents' bedroom door and the bathroom door, getting into EVERYTHING).

Attempted solution: time-out each time he goes into the rooms he's not allowed to go in. Time-out consists of physically holding and restraining child for approximately 2 minutes at a time (since regular time-outs he couldn't care less about). 

Result: time-outs do not work for 20-month-old, even though he screams and cries during each one. He continues to open the doors to the off-limit rooms, getting time-out each time, for over an hour. Note to self: child is extremely persistent. 

2nd attempted solution: after spending hours searching and reviewing products, Mom finds door knob covers, $3 at Wal-Mart. The $3 are gladly invested.

2nd (and final!) result: the covers work. After much frustration attempting to figure out the new contraptions and throwing toys at the door knobs, 20-month-old gives up.... for now....

5 comments:

Joe said...

YAY!!!!

The Hulls said...

We have these EXACT doorknobs in our house on almost every door. If I don't want my kids in a room, all I have to do is shut the door. Woo woo! My son is 3 1/2 and he still cannot get in! Just FYI!!!

MOORE FAMILY said...

Yeah Beth I am glad you found something that works. I cannot believe you have a little boy that is so persistent. That is hard. I hope your next one is mellower for you. hehehe.

Jenna Eve said...

hmm. I bought those last month and as soon as I put them on Luke opened the door! I want a refund.

Bethany said...

Jenna: I wonder if you bought these exact ones-- I read some reviews on similar ones, by the same brand, and many parents said their kids pulled them right off! I made sure to avoid those:)